Wellness and a More Successful Existence
Our programs and services at Transformation Wellness and Martial Arts are intended to help you on your wellness journey toward a more successful existence.
Although the term wellness has been applied in many ways, there seems to be general agreement among health and wellness leaders that:
The National Institute for Wellness (NWI) defines wellness as an active process through which people become aware of, and make choices toward, a more successful existence.
The Dr. Bill Hettler, co-founder of the NWI developed the 6 dimensions to wellness to further define wellness in its entirety.
1) Occupational - The occupational dimension recognizes personal satisfaction and enrichment in one’s life through work.
2) Physical - The physical dimension recognizes the need for regular physical activity. Physical development encourages learning about diet and nutrition while discouraging the use of tobacco, drugs and excessive alcohol consumption. Optimal wellness is met through the combination of good exercise and eating habits.
3) Social - The social dimension encourages contributing to one’s environment and community. It emphasizes the interdependence between others and nature
4) Intellectual - The intellectual dimension recognizes one’s creative, stimulating mental activities. A well person expands his or her knowledge and skills while discovering the potential for sharing his or her gifts with others.
5) Spiritual - The spiritual dimension recognizes our search for meaning and purpose in human existence. It includes the development of a deep appreciation for the depth and expanse of life and natural forces that exist in the universe.
6) Emotional - The emotional dimension recognizes awareness and acceptance of one’s feelings. Emotional wellness includes the degree to which one feels positive and enthusiastic about one’s self and life. It includes the capacity to manage one’s feelings and related behaviors including the realistic assessment of one’s limitations, development of autonomy, and ability to cope effectively with stress. The well person maintains satisfying relationships with others.
We are here to help you on your wellness path. Feel free to contact us with any questions or comments you might have.
Coach Tim Garrett
Martial Arts & Wellness Coach
March 27, 2017